Monday, March 26, 2007

Torre in Meralco Simul

Our friend in RP, Raul Sol Cruz, sent me information about GM Eugene Torre's 25-board simul held a couple of weeks ago during the 104th anniversary of Meralco's founding. Meralco is an electricity utility in Manila, Mr Cruz current employer. The score was 24.5 to 0.5 for Torre with Engineer Darryl Mata securing the draw.

The event was organised by Mr Cruz himself, along with Darryl Mata, Manny Benitez and Romy Aguilar. Below is a photo of Torre in action during the simul against some of the employers'kids.

1 comment:

Ted Teodoro said...

0571057I am glad that Torre is still around. He's been the alpha male of Philippine chess no matter who is the top-rated chessplayer in the country. Earning the first GM title in Asia secured his place as one of Asia's chess greats. I admired him a lot when I was a young player in the Philippines, and there was an afternoon at the Philippine National Chess Club in Cubao (1970s) when I saw him trounce all challengers in blitz. I've never met him but I became acquainted with his brother, Jess. More power to GM Torre.