Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Lessons From Chess

All of us have some take on the lessons we've learnt from chess. I'd like to think that mine is patience (i.e. having more of it), although sometimes this is a little hard and my game last Sunday was an ugly example.

For Richard G. Petty MD, one important lesson is this:

Constantly ask questions: Why is this happening? Is there a pattern here? What does the other person intend? How can I fashion a response that fits and will move things in the direction that I want and is congruent with my overall plan of life? What are the rules here? Can I break the rules? This does not mean cheating, it means being sure that you are not applying rules mechanically, without checking to make sure that they apply in your particular situation.

More from the good doctor.

No comments: