Thursday, January 14, 2010

Indians Rule

Indians are just everywhere these days. With over a billion of them, the Indian diaspora could easily match the Chinese! But hey, I'm not complaining. Last night I found myself dining in an Indian restaurant in the middle of Tokyo. After a couple of days of sushi and chopsticks (try eating spaghetti with chopsticks), I needed something a little more greasy, spicy and that I could eat with my friggin' hands.

Well, thank God for Indians, I say!

Of course, it should go without saying that Indians have always made a big impact on chess. The current "official" World Champion is an Indian. And the Indian team have just finished with bronze in something called the World Team Chess Championships.

Between the so-called emerging powers of India and China, it's clear to me who's in the lead. Indians are kicking ass! In the upcoming Corus event (from 16 - 31 Jan, 2010), there are 5 Indians and only 2 Chinese.

Speaking of Corus, Pinoys now have two guys to watch out for. GM Wesley So in the B section, but also GM "Bong" Villamayor who'll be commentating on behalf of my friends over on ChessDom.

No comments: