Wednesday, April 18, 2007

A Visit to the King's Head

Just got back from a night of blitz and a couple of pints at the Wargrave Arms - home of the King's Head CC. A wonderful night, played about a dozen games and only lost 2. The locals kept asking me what my rating was and I kept saying I was a beginner. They wouldn't believe me.

If you ever come to London, I recommend dropping by. They're friendly there but with all the familiar banter I hear back in Sydney. Plus the pub serves some good beer and reasonably good food. I had the coq au vin - cost me about 7 quid - and that wasn't too bad.

Regrettably, the King's Head lads only meet on Tuesday evenings and I'm leaving this Friday. I wonder if there's another central London club that meet on Thursdays? I'll have to ask my mates from S&B.

2 comments:

Tom Chivers said...

Mm, not that I know of, I'm afraid...

Anonymous said...

Telling them your a beginner? lol

When in a foreign country,NEVER talk yourself down...only talk yourself up.

Thats what most of the foreigners do here in Australia.
They seem to think having a FIDE rating of mid 2000 is some major achievement. lol.