Saturday, April 21, 2007

Headin' Home

Now at Heathrow en route to Bangkok then off to Sydney. At last, some free internet access and free vinos courtesy of BA. Popped into the London Chess Centre this afternoon, home of TWIC. Just for the sake of buying something from the joint, I bought Shenk's The Immortal Game: A History of Chess. (Two years ago I bought a chess-themed tie that I've never been game to wear in public). A good book, the man behind the counter said. He was a nice chap, even included a freebie Chess magazine. That was kind of him. I said I write a blog and he said he's never heard of it! Jesus was I insulted.

But at least some readers do think of me and that always warms the heart. They keep me up-to-date on what's happening. Like this guy:

TCG, you will be excited to learn that the latest NSWCA newsletter has just come out. I am sure you can't wait to get back to the land of Oz to read it and have a good laugh! I tell you, it is getting worse. Still only 4 pages long [and bottom 1/4 of each page is blank]. This issue is mostly mindless rehashing of results from tournaments that have already finished long ago [Aussie Open, Australia Day Weekender etc].
Thanks for that matey.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

who even gets the NSWCA newsletter? lol

Ryan said...

I bought a chess tie many years ago and I've never worn mine either. lol.

I always enjoy visiting the London Chess Centre when I'm in that part of the world. It's like being a kid a sweetshop! I can still remember the first time I saw Fritz in action was in that shop. It was love at first sight!

I thought everyone had heard of the Closet Grandmaster? Perhaps the assistant doesn't own a pc? lol.

Anonymous said...

I do own a p.c. although im afraid I don't get much free time to go online, but, since I am the assistant in question, I asked the gentleman I was serving to write down his blog address and so here I am, a new follower of the closet G.M's web site. Not getting much online time doesn't really bother me, I HAVE FREE ACCESS TO ALL THE LATEST CHESS BOOKS, SOFTWARE ETC. GOD I LOVE MY JOB.
P.S. Jovanka Houska has just printed a book on the Caro-Kann, I have got a copy weeks ago and I have read and studied it. Not sure if its available where you are yet but maybe you can look at the press release ( ONLINE ) and admire the picture of the cover while you wait ( WEEKS ? )to buy it. It will be worth the money you spend. All the best from England
Shop assistant "Mark"

Anonymous said...

P.S. ( From Mark ) I and a colleague discussed with Jovanka the various lines within her book a month or so before it was to be published ( She mentioned her intention to advocate 3... c5 and not the line 3... Bf5 thus avoiding my pet trap which has stolen me a few points, this line runs ((( 1.e4 c6 2.d4 d5 3. e5 Bf5 4.h4 h6?! 5.g4 Bh7 ? and then the positionally devastating 6. ******* ahh well put the position on a board and try to find the move ( It's not too tough ) and if you can't find it, fritz 10 (Which plays it almost immediately ) or maybe Nunns Chess Openings will give you the answer.
P.P.S. Anyone who is interested in the white side of the Caro-Kann will love the game J. Nunn - E. Lobron from Wijk aan Zee 1985. This is not in the book ( as it is out of the repertoire )but it is a great game none the less.

The Closet Grandmaster said...

Thanks for the posts Mark and, of course, for the magazine you slipped in. I might be dropping by again this coming November!

I'm back in Sydney now sitting here at home. Sometimes it's just hard to believe that it was only yesterday that I was on the other side of the planet.

- TCG

Anonymous said...

Is Houska considered well known when it comes to opening theory?

Has she written any other books?

Anonymous said...

IF only the genius Closest Grandmaster would write the newsletter for the NSWCA... then all would be saved!