Friday, January 07, 2011

Happy New Year from TCG

Over the last 3 weeks I've spent the Christmas and New Year celebrations back here in Sydney. I can say that it was a thoroughly fun time photographing around my old stomping grounds, catching up with the family, of course, and some chess.

Nice to see the blokes at the Town Hall finally organising a more formalised group, a real chess club, but even nicer to see that I can still play, although a lot weaker after many months out-of-OTB action. It's funny how losing games makes me want to recheck my database to patch up some forgotten lines. I hadn't had the urge to do that for a very, very long time!

Anyway, I did also pop into Peter Parr's Chess Discount Sales. As I reported last year, this joint is shutting down and if you go there now you'll bag a 30% discount on pretty much everything. I don't need software or books, at least for the next a couple of years while in Japan, so I settled for a complete set of bulletins from the 1992 Manila Olympiad. A very good buy, I thought, for just a litte under twenty bucks!

On that note, I wish you all a happy new year. I'm flying back to Tokyo tonight so my next post will likely be on Sunday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was in Adelaide for the Lidums chess tournament on Boxing day. It was the first OTB tournament i've been too. I could have got a game due to someone having a bye in the first round but i had the family with me, so couldnt get a game.

I did take some photos though, and loved it. Not long after that i stumbled across your site here. It was funny seeing your own pics of the chess in sydney.

I'll be reading through the archives here.

KC