Sunday, June 27, 2010

Cosplay Chess

"Cosplay" or "costume play" is probably one of the more unusual distractions among many young Japanese. Basically, it's dressing up to a whole new level. I'm talking about kids putting on some very elaborate make up and highly detailed costumes to represent some character from various sources - commonly from manga.

Yesterday, while being out on my usual photo walk, I stumbled across what seemed like a cosplay convention. Permission is required to take photos of the kids, but I did sneak in this shot.



I mention this because I just noticed that cosplayers outside of Japan seem to include a chess game in their conventions - specifically, human chess! Like in this video (and there's plenty more on YouTube).

2 comments:

yullian bei said...

yap. almost all chess event now doing chess cosplay. btw, like the cosplay cultur overthere.

Jessica Nigri said...

cool... cosplay everywhere. can't wait another event to see more cosplay :p