Saturday, May 19, 2007

Missing Zonal Results

Issue no. 403 of the ACF's newsletter hit my inbox yesterday. There's no mention of the recently concluded Fiji Zonal's there. Whatever, let's just assume that the content didn't make it by press time. But you know some dirty minds will wonder if the ACF guys just didn't want extra attention on a familiar issue all over again. I'm talking here about soft FM titles. There's currently a hot discussion going on about this over at Chess Chat with one guy calling the soft titles, "Bi-Lo" titles. Ouch! That must hurt.

Also of interest in the latest newsletter is a brief entry about the latest ACTCA AGM. The ACF reports simply, "In a secret ballot Mos Ali was elected by 14 votes to 13. The remaining executive positions, except for the Treasurer, were filled unopposed." However the juicier details can be found in Chess Express.

Incumbent President Mos Ali was also nominated. Sadly he started his case for re-election by smearing his opponent, and only stopped when challenged by an outraged member of the audience. He defended his approach by indicating that in an election, "anything goes". A paper ballot was used for the election and at the close of counting the vote was tied 13-13. After some confusion Mos Ali used what I believe to be his casting vote to re-elect himself as President.

He re-elected himself? What the...? I'm not too au fait on the rules but is that even allowed? Imagine this happening in NSWCA. There'd be a total uproar. So far I haven't seen any significant commentary on the net, certainly not on Chess Chat and there's only 3 comments in Shaun Press' blog. Maybe those guys in the ACT are way too nice.

OK, so here I am thinking: Stephen Mugford was co-organiser of the Australian Open, what about Mr Ali? What has he done? Anyone? Fair questions. I really do want to know.

By the way, I just noticed this link to the Sunshine Coast Chess Club - host of the 1999 Australian Open. Yes, I have very good memories. Very nice!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I dont find it strange that Mos Ali got to vote for himself.

Later on this year John Howard will be voting for himself,and thats a slightly more important election. lol.

I dont know what Mos Ali has done in the way of organising chess activities in the ACT,but he is one of their most active players.
He routinely plays tournaments at all clubs in the ACT,which most adult players dont.

I have met Mos from when he lived and played in victoria and I always found him to a fairly nice guy. In what way was he supposedly "smearing" his opponent?

The Closet Grandmaster said...

Yes, he's a nice guy. I've met and played him myself.

But we're talking here about the political aspects.

- TCG

Anonymous said...

If you think Mos Ali's re-election is questionable you should see what happens at VicChess AGM's!

Anonymous said...

I can't remember the last time there was an 'election' at the CV AGM. If anyone is willing to nominate then they get the job without any counting. Many positions are still vacant.
Nothing questionable occurs because there are no options to question.

Perhaps CV should change its constitution to make it an obligation (on Clubs) that affiliation for a melbourne-based clubs means they have provide at least one office-bearer to the State association.

Shaun Press said...

It was politics, and it wasn't the comment of a 'nice' guy.
After I read a statement from Stephen stating why he wished be ACTCA President, and I added my own information re Stephens achievements (Australian Open, attracting $20,000 in sponsorship last year) the reply from Mos Ali began
"Well, I can't compete with that. What I can say was that when Stephen was President of the Canberra Chess Club he ran it down, and if he becomes President of the ACTCA he may want to run it down as well."

Anonymous said...

So I guess you are not a fan of Mos Ali then,Shaun. lol.

Will be interesting to see if this Canberra catfight continues.

Anonymous said...

thEre are those long standing cv vacancies that no one is in a hurry to advertise or fill ...

Anonymous said...

That would be an ali cat fight - ACT mug for d second time in two years.
DM

Anonymous said...

Sounds to me like sour grapes from Shaun because his team didn't win.

The chess nut said...

As for the soft titles.....

At least they're not calling them Go-Lo Titles.....

lol