Saturday, April 29, 2006

Serge Rubanraut

This afternoon I was playing a few games of blitz at Hyde Park. While contemplating over my next move, I suddenly heard a familiar voice. He was speaking in Russian. It was none other than the 1976 Australian Champion Serge Rubanraut.

Looking a bit weightier these days, Serge appears in good health. I suppose for his health, he takes time to visit the park and his friends on a near daily basis. Everyone around here knows his achievement. And we all offer him the appropriate respect. I ask if he still plays regularly. Yeah, he says, but just social games.

I was quite keen to play him. He takes his place across me. It's 5 minute blitz.

Serge opens with 1. e4. I think for moment and respond with 1...d5 - my current experiment. 2. ed5 Qd5 3. Nc3 Qa5. And now, something unexpected: 4. b4 - the Mieses Gambit. What the hell do I do now?

I hold my game well, if I may say so myself. But I'm under pressure throughout. Serge is rather mean. The man still has a game. I lose.

No comments: